Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Broccoli Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 (10 ounce) packages chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
2 potato, peeled and chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute onion and garlic until tender. Mix in broccoli, potato, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

With a hand mixer or in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Return to the saucepan, and reheat. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve with some grated cheese (especially if you are serving Nate).

This recipe is really versatile. Tonight I made it with an extra potato, a chopped up zucchini, several handfuls of fresh spinach, and however much broccoli I dumped in. And I had a little evaporated milk, so I threw that in. And a little crushed red pepper. Once it was all blended up no one could tell that I had added other veggies. I also sprinkled a little season salt in each bowl as I served it. It was awesome. Go me.

Recipe from: Allrecipes, adapted by me

No comments: